Pages

31 Oct 2010

Putting some colour in to a dull Sunday.

All week I've been looking for Waxwings around where I work and the house. With plenty of birds arriving in it should have only been a matter of time..................................................................

I'd just got out the Landrover, after returning from Hilbre, when I heard the familiar trilling call and there, sat in the top of one of our Birch trees. I quickly shot in to the house to grab the big lens and found the birds again nearby on a neighbours aerial.

Garden tick!!!





Fantastic birds although I was a bit self conscious standing in the street with a long lens!

There was plenty of movement on and over Hilbre. As we arrived at first light it soon became obvious there had been a movement of Blackbirds when at least 6 flew of the south end. The movement continued with Brambling, Siskin, Linnet, Chaffinch, Starling, Sky Lark & Greenfinch moving overhead. 5 Blackbirds were ringed and there were some good re-traps including this Rock Pipit.


Star bird though was this 1st winter male Firecrest that I was privileged to be able to ring - my 2nd in two weeks! Unbeleivable. Just like buses.................


2 comments :

Tony Morris said...

Be careful, with Waxwings ab=nd lens. A few years ago I was accused of taking pictures of children on the way to school, until I explained about the Waxwings!

Phil Woollen. said...

Its OK Tony. I knew the people and explained what I was doing. They've see me photographing Mealy Redpolls in the street before now. Would be different elsewhere though.