Pages

14 Feb 2019

Patch tick! Gadwall

Jet lagged and freezing cold after flying back on a redeye from the Caribbean I looked out the study window contemplating whether or not to venture when i noticed a few ducks on the pond opposite the house. The water level is lower this year as the farmer has tried to drain the field so the birds are harder to see. Scoping the open water revealed a couple of Shoveller, a pair of Coots and a pair of Gadwall! A patch and garden tick!


Now I was glued to the window and over the next few hours added a few more birds to the patch year list - Greylag Goose (4), Grey Heron and Stock Dove (6).

Despite going AWOL, when the farmer severely pruned the tree they nested / roosted in, the Little Owl(s) remain in the area but I haven't been able to pin them down to a particular tree. The male has started singing again so hopefully they'll breed again. I've had a chat with the farmer and he's given me permission to put up on nest box as long as its high enough not to interfere with his flail when he's hedge cutting. It's probably to late this year but I'll get one made and installed ready for next year.

No comments :