Pages

13 Mar 2009

A mistake on my part.

After seemingly resolving the issue of disappearing birds on the Wirral yesterday I opened my in-box this morning to find photographic evidence that I was only partially right. Rather than a transformation process it appears that a hybridisation has taken place as a locally placed birder sent me this photograph taken yesterday.

Actually this is probably a more reasonable explanation following my own observations at a nearby reserve where both Avocet and Shelduck are known to breed. It appears that one lone Shel-drake has penchant for black & white birds with no prejudice. It is easy to imagine that after this mating it turned its attention to a female Avocet.

My thanks to the well informed local who sent me the picture of the Avoduck and helped clear up the mystery.

No comments :