Pages

26 Oct 2023

Fair Isle 2023. Part 6. American Golden Plover and a disaster.

Nearly 30 years ago I tore my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) playing rugby. I remember exactly when I did it. My foot was planted in mud and I got hit from the side twisting my knee and tearing the ligament. It didn't require surgery but I spent 8 weeks hobbling around with a stick. Just over a year ago I tweaked it again but after a week or so it improved to the extent I was back in the gym doing squats and leg raises. 

Unfortunately I slipped whilst climbing over a stile on Fair Isle and was in instant agony. Walking was difficult and  I was in constant pain as the knee occasionally gave way on me and bone rubbed against bone. Not the best time for the American Golden Plover found by Sam to appear to have settled at possibly one of the highest and most exposed are of Fair Isle - Hoini! 

Despite the discomfort I managed to follow Jason uphill, albeit almost a 100 m behind him at the top, where we sat and watched a juvenile American Plover feeding on the open plateau. We'd seen this bird in flight previously and picked it up flying around on call several times but this was the first time we'd seen it on the ground. Unfortunately the weather deteriorated so after 20 minutes or so we left it and sought shelter lower down.



Whilst we were on Fair Isle we took the opportunity to check on progress on the rebuilding of the Observatory that burnt down in a disastrous fire in March 2019. The reconstruction has been plagued by delays and the Obs is almost 2 years late reopening. Progress is slow but the shell is almost water tight and hopefully will be open for guests next Autumn.


The scenery and geology on Fair Isle is fantastic and on sunny days is probably as good as you could get anywhere in the World. Its a magical place.

View from my room at Hollie & Deryks place Burkle


North Light

South Harbour


Cruise ship at North haven



All to soon our week had come to an end and it was time to retunr to Tingwall where we received the welcome news that Airtask were going to refund our flights both ways due to the mechanical break down of the plane! 



No comments :