Pages

11 May 2021

Green-winged orchids

 With the lockdown last year I couldn't get across to Gop Hill in N Wales, a site only 25 minutes away from the house where we'd seen Autumn Ladies tresses in 2019 - see here. I was keen to go back as the site also hosts a good number of Green-winged Orchids in the spring. With a friend having recently visited the site and reported 100's of plants in flower I decided to make the short trip across the border to have a look myself.

The Green-winged Orchids were easy enough to find but many were past their best having been blasted by the recent high winds and heavy rain. There were literally 100's of flowering spikes with none much taller than 10 cm. Searching the hillside on my hands and knees I found a few nice flowers to photograph - often stretched out full length on the short cropped grass to make full use of the cameras macro lens.








Theres also an old quarry on site and the sheltered corners below the rock faces held a few Early Purple Orchids.




A great couple of hours on site culminating in getting soaking wet as yet another squall blew through.


No comments :