Pages

15 Apr 2020

Finches and Wagtails in the garden.

We've had a few Chaffinches and Goldfinches in the garden recently and with the improved weather and drop in wind speed I've managed to set a couple of mist nets and ring a few as I suspect some of these will be migrants fattening up before moving back to the continent / Scandinavia to breed.

What really surprised me was the Linnets dropping into feed with the other finches. I'd heard them over the garden before and a few pairs breed locally every year but I'd never seen one on the ground. The first I knew they were around was when I caught one followed very quickly by another. Both were 2nd calendar year males (Euring 5) but in very different plumages. The first bird only had small tinges of pink on the breast but the other was much brighter.

Linnets can be hard to age this time of year but the central tail feathers on these birds were the giveaway. Both had very pointed central tail feathers typical of juvenile birds.



Linnet 5 male - 1st bird above & 2 nd bird below.


I did catch a few Chaffinches and these were interesting as the wing length suggested they are Scandinavian birds moving through as opposed to our local breeders.

The bird below was aged as a 2nd calendar year female as it had a single retained juvenile greater covert left over from its post juvenile moult last year. This is browner than the adult ones which are much darker wit ha broad white tip. Again, the tail was an additional clue to the age.


Another bird I was pleased to catch was a female Pied Wagtail. I don't catch many of these and this one seems to be nest building nearby. Again it was a 2nd calendar year bird (Euring 5) aged by the moult contrast in the greater coverts with two retained juvenile feathers contrasting with the newer adult type it acquired in its post juvenile moult last year.



It wasn't all about the small birds though. Wood Pigeons are a big bird to handle by yourself but I managed to extract this one and ring it. A beautiful bird close up.


Apologies for the state of my nails and fingers. They're covered in paint after taking the opportunity to touch up the paint work on my 1976 ex-army Lightweight Landrover. Actually, I ended up repainting the whole vehicle, removing the wheels and painting them as well.

No comments :