Pages

21 Jan 2019

2019 patch year list off to a flying start........

New Year saw me laid up wit ha bad back so most of my birding was done from the warmth and comfort of the house with the occasional foray into the garden. Never the less I finished New Years Day with a reassuring total of 37 species including only the 3rd record of Bullfinch since we moved here in December 2016. This time a beautiful male!


Although we've had very little rain and the pond opposite the house is nowhere near as full as in previous years it has attracted a few good birds and so far I've had Mute Swan, Shoveller, Teal, Lapwing and Coot pay a visit.




Although the Little Owl has deserted the usual hole after the farmer cut off all the lower branches of its preferred nesting / roosting tree using a flail (!) it is still somewhere locally and can be heard most nights and seen occasionally.

At the end of the 2nd week of January the patch total stands at a modest 55 species. By the end of January 2018 my total was 64 species and I've, hopefully,  still got a few relatively easy ones to get.

Heres to another successful year of patch birding!

No comments :