Pages

21 Aug 2018

Bonepartes Gull, Hilbre.

Whilst I was away on Nan Ron Tim Kinch found an adult Bonepartes Gull at Hoylake. The last one  I saw in Cheshire was at Inner marsh Farm RSPB in 2004.  Present for only one evening it was a Cheshire and Wirral first for many people. I wasn't to worried about missing the Hoylake bird but as the return date from Nan Ron got closer  I began to hope it would stay - they're always a good bird to see. Even better was the news  Chris Williams (Hilbre Chairman) had found it in the gutter off the east side of Hilbre - a first for Hilbre!

Luckily the bird was still present on Saturday morning and any plans I'd made about sorting out all my camping gear and unpacking the car went further down the priority list as plans were made for a quick visit to try and see this fantastic addition to the Hilbre rare bird list. Even better, Andrea was staying over at the Obs and had put the news out early and she put me straight on the bird when I arrived. It was always a bit distant to get more than record shots but it showed continuously.








All we need now is a Franklins  on the Wirral and we'll have the set of small N American vagrant gulls.

No comments :