Pages

19 Apr 2013

Blue-winged Teal, Garganey & Eider

Its been a good week for migrants locally but the change in the wind direction and the increase to storm force meant the emphasis on Hilbre switched to seawatching yesterday. A cracking day with two Eider being found on the tideline as the tide ebbed - one adult male and a sub-adult.


 Loads of Razorbills and Gannets had been displaced by the strong winds and there were a good number of Red-throated Divers as well as my first Common & Arctic Terns of the year.
A great few hours and the day got better as I went for a walk with Jan around the local lanes last night. Checking a ploughed field I found no fewer than 15 Wheatears that had obviously been grounded since the previous nights bad weather. The same field hosted a Whinchat and a Yellow Wagtail as well as several White Wagtails.

Arriving early in the office this morning I was busy in the workshop and found I'd missed half a dozen calls from Steve & Barry. Blue-winged Teal Burton Mere Wetlands!!!!!

A few quick apologies and the promise I'd be back within the hour and I was on my way.
A cracking full adult male alongside a Garganey for good measure. A Cheshire lifer for me. What a way to start the weekend.

 Plenty of Avocets at BMW and a good selection of waders with some nice summer plumaged Spotted Redshank, Dunlin, Black0tailed Godwit and Common Sandpiper to name a few.



No comments :