Pages

13 Mar 2013

Finch movements

Lots of ringers throughout the UK are reporting good number of Siskin moving through gardens. My garden has been no exception. I'm currently sat in front of the computer, jet lagged, across the other side of the World in Australia at 2.30 in the morning but just before I came out I spent sometime in our conservatory photographing the comings and goings through the window. A male and female Brambling are still regular visitors and there is at least one male Blackcap and a new unringed female .

I even managed a short ringing session where I caught two male Siskin and in keeping with the reports from other ringers it appears the majority of the birds currently on the move north to their breeding grounds are males.
This one is a young 2nd calender year male showing a good contrst between the inner adult type greater coverts and the plaer fringed outer greater coverts.

I also had a good wader canon netting session with the SCAN group in N Wales and we ended up with a catch of Dunin, Redshank and Turnstone after an extremely early start with the net being fired at dawn! We were done and dusted by 09.30 am and  I was in the office for 11.00 with a total of 107 birds being processed. Some of the re-trapped Turnstone were thought to be at least 10 years old.

No comments :