Pages

12 Jan 2013

Footing it across the stubble.

A 'mega' local find whilst undertaking the' Footit' challenge  - a Water Rail flushed from a flooded juncus filled corner of a local field where I regularly get Snipe & Jack Snipe - no Snipe but a single Jack Snipe. The local farmer has left 2 fields of Barley stubble and a field of Maize stubble over the winter and the Barley in particular attracts good numbers of finches and buntings.

 Barley stubble
Maize stubble

Sure enough a large mobile flock of Chaffinches was spotted on the opposite side from the lane but I gradually worked my way round to them and picked out at least 2 Brambling's with them. Also present were 3+ Yellowhammers and 5+ Reed Buntings. Great stuff!



All good fun and I feel I'm gradually losing the pounds piled on in Australia!

Aspen plantation.

No comments :